Legal Counsel – Disability, Life & Health Insurance
POSITION: Legal Counsel – Disability, Life & Health Insurance
LOCATION: La Capitale Civil Service Insurer - Mississauga
DEPARTMENT: Group Insurance
REPORTS TO: Director, Legal Affairs
La Capitale Civil Service Insurer is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive work environment free of all forms of discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in pursuing a job opportunity with La Capitale Civil Service Insurer and require accommodation, please advise us so that we can work with you to provide suitable accommodation in the recruitment and selection process.
Under the authority of the Director of Legal Affairs (Life and Health Insurance and Financial Services), Legal Counsel – Disability, Life & Health Insurance represents the interests of La Capitale Civil Service Insurer, primarily in litigation files in disability and life insurance. The incumbent will also perform the functions of legal advisor to the entities of La Capitale.
- Lead and manage litigation files, mainly in the field of life and health insurance and financial services.
- Preparation and conduct of examinationsfor discovery.
- Drafting pleadings, briefs and other required documents.
- Representing the interests of the companyin court.
- Participating in settlement conferences ormediations.
- Drafting legal opinions and advising the various departments, branches and vice-presidencies of the company on all legal issues in a variety of areas, mainly related to life and health insurance, annuities or other related areas.
- Participate in the drafting or revision of various contracts relating mainly to life and health insurance products.
- Participate in various working groups.
- Participate incorporate legislative update meetings.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Director of Legal Affairs
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE:
- LL.B / JD
- Member in good standing of the Ontario Bar.
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years of relevant litigation experience, optimally in life and disability insurance law.
- Autonomy in all stages of litigated file management.
- Analytical, organizational, time and priority managementskills, thoroughness,patience and team spirit.
- Excellent command of the English language (oral and written) with editorial skills.
- Good command in French an asset.
- Experience as an in-house lawyer/counsel an asset.
Please forward your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org